Avoid Litigation with an Uncontested Divorce

Avoid Litigation with an Uncontested Divorce_Carolan_BlogAn uncontested divorce offers many benefits. The most important advantage is avoiding a lengthy litigation and contentious courtroom battle. With an uncontested divorce, you and your spouse amicably reach agreements on all major issues such as child custody, division of assets, and spousal support.

In Florida, uncontested divorces are a simpler, quicker and less costly way to end a marriage.

Differences between Uncontested and Contested Divorces

In divorce litigation, a judge or a jury makes all the important decisions that affect your life because you and your spouse are unable to do so. read more

Virtual Lawyering and the Client

Virtual Lawyering and the Client_Carolan

With all the technological advances available, it shouldn’t be a surprise that law firms are changing the way they operate their legal practices. More solo practitioners and small law firms now choose to work in the cloud. Although most law firms are still brick-and-mortar service professionals, virtual lawyering is on the rise, and clients are reaping the benefits of this new alternative to traditional law practices.

What is Virtual Lawyering?

In a nutshell, virtual lawyering (also known as e-lawyering) is running a firm using web-based technology. Instead of working in a traditional office space, virtual lawyers work from their individual home office, or from a laptop while they are on the move. read more

Can I Relocate With My Child After Divorce?

Can I Relocate With My Child After DivorceEven after a divorce is final, there are a number of situations and circumstances that can cause friction between you and your co-parent. Cohabitation is a difficult topic to discuss, particularly if the co-parenting relationship is contentious. If you want to relocate out of state with your child, you’ll have to meet certain standards set by the court.

Distance Matters

Florida law allows a parent to move within 50 miles of their current residence with their child. A move of this distance does not require any additional paperwork or permission from the other parent. If you want to move more than 50 miles away from your place of residence, you must get written agreement from the other parent or serving a Petition to Relocate. Moving without the permission of the other parent or the court may put you in contempt of a court order, and as a result, you may be required to return to your previous residence. A previous attempt to move without permission can be taken into account in future modifications of your timesharing schedule or parenting plan. read more