If you have children and are in the process of a divorce, then the subject of child support has likely come up. Parenting plans and timesharing agreements are one piece of the divorce puzzle; division of the assets is another piece; and alimony and child support, if any, is the third piece of the divorce—and is often the trickiest.

Child Support in FloridaThere are many cases where you have a court-ordered child support schedule, and your ex is not complying. Either late or missed child support payments are too common. But If you are a parent struggling to collect child support from another parent or you are worried about what could happen if you miss child support payments, then this article is for you…

The Florida Department of Revenue oversees all child support payments within the state. And they can pressure parents to make payments to the custodial parent as detailed in a child support order.

Here are some of things the Department of Revenue may do if you or another parent is late on or missing child support payments:

  • Issue late payment notices
  • Send income withholding notices directly to a parent’s employer
  • Suspend a driver’s license.
  • Suspend any professional, business or recreational licenses
  • Attempt to negotiate a workable, written agreement that sets forth the terms of paying all back and current child support.
  • Alert the IRS to withhold any federal income tax return refund
  • Garnish wages or bank accounts
  • If a parent receives state re-employment benefits, then a percentage of those benefits (up to 40%) may be deducted to pay back-owed child support.
  • If a parent receives workers’ compensation benefits—including a lump-sum payment—then the Department can use part of the benefits to pay past-due support.
  • Issue a personal property lien—such as on a motor vehicle or boat on past-due child support amounts of $600 or more
  • Report past-due amounts to the credit bureaus
  • Suspend any passport renewals (parents who owe $2,500 or more in back-owed child support)
  • Serve jail time

Custodial parents who are owed child support to care for their children have the right to file legal action to enforce a child support order. A child custody and child support attorney can also work with the Department of Revenue to file this action. The non-paying parent may even face jail time as a result of back-owed child support…

Meet with a Knowledgeable Child Custody Attorney Florida

For more information or legal guidance on child support, contact a child custody or child support attorney in Florida today at 305-358-2330.

Related Post :